Sunday, January 16, 2011

लैटर तो अ Friend


This is a response I wrote to a friend who wanted some ideas and advice on art. I thought it would make a good blog.
"Color wouldnt be needed, just a little darker beige than the backround color. But if you want a color, lavender or violet would be nice.
What Ive found is the proper anything doesnt matter. Tooth, grade of paper, medium, or even mixing mediums that you wouldnt even think of mixing. If your paper buckles, you can still work with it and it will have a different effect. You could use salt, stamp over it, or remove bits of color. If the paper has more tooth than you want, you can paint under the pencil or over it with watercolor or acrylic. There is no limits to the combinations. This is a good way to use up stuff you have laying around the house that you would otherwise throw away. Approach it like a child would with the spirit of experimentation. They dont know what the "correct" way is. They just do it.
Your Tabby drawing is not a waste. You could highlight parts with acrylic paint or frame bits of it, the parts you really like, to make a collage or frame it as a miniature.
One way of getting yourself out of overblending is to set the alarm to go off at 1 hour (or whatever time) and stop work on your piece. It will do 2 things. It will teach you to work faster and more efficient. And it will make you stop and examine what really needs to be done after living with it for awhile.
I havent been doing anything for months because of "the big move". It probably wont happen for even a few more. When Im ready again, I will let my whimsical spirit lead me.
I like what Ive written here and I havent blogged for a long time, so you have helped me too, to write something for the blog. Its so wonderful how artists can inspire one another"!

1 comment:

Brockman717 said...

I agree that artists have a natural ability to inspire in an almost unconscience and always wonderful sense of zeal towards art itself. I've been in a writers block for two yrs now. A few months ago I met Debra Joyce Whittier who inspired me to smile again(& get this phone). She turned me onto fb, & then Ellery Branden, who without ever meeting, has evoked a fresh harmony of thought, and a new desire to take pen in hand, once more. Thousands of yrs ago, even upto several hundreds, we shared the magic of the universe, of united souls. We spoke in mystical revelation. Today we call it science, and waste tremendous time & energy looking to know & define those things which were intuit yesterday. I loved El's advice to her friend. Don't define or discard for lack of perfection to your original goal or plans. Roll with it. Creare. Recreate. Perfection is for God, & in us he see's nothing less.